Sunrise PHOTOSHOOT & REVIEW: 2016 Mercedes-Benz Steel Grey CLS400

vendredi 11 décembre 2015

Hey everyone! As some of you may know, I started a thread a while ago regarding a new car for my dad since the lease expired on his 2013 SL550. He's getting older, doesn't drive too much, and didn't want/need a 2-door roadster... so he ended up with a 2016 CLS400, loaded with every option minus the airmatic suspension and driver assist. Me, being selfish, was pushing for the 550 (crazy powerful twin turbo V8), but while the MSRP was only about $2k more, due to different money factors on the lease, you can't get one, similarly optioned, for less than $3-400/month more which is NOT in any way worth it... [probably why almost no dealers have the 550s, only 400s and the CLS63 AMG (a whole different MONSTER)].

Overall
Pros:
-exterior styling, including AMG wheels, spoiler, etc
-AMG steering wheel
-pleasantly surprising power out of the twin-turbo V6 even in a heavy car
-comfort
-technology

Cons:
-E class interior (old)
-ECO mode (have to manually shut it off every time the car starts)
-transmission (although it is getting better!)
-exhaust (lack there of)

Basic specs:
-3.0L twin turbo V6 producing 329 horsepower and 354lb/ft of torque paired to a 7 speed automatic transmission. Curb weight around 4000lbs. 0-60 in about 5 seconds.

---

I have to say that I am really pleasantly surprised by the power this car has. I honestly thought it was going to be slow vs. the 550, but it has good power and torque, plus it is lighter and more balanced than the V8 empowered 550. My dad and I had it tinted (20% sides, 5% rear window) the day after he got it, and I debadged the car myself.

The car is also extremely comfortable and the engine and brakes are extremely smooth. The exterior styling and Mercedes full LED lights are striking. The car has great lines, and like BMW's Mineral Grey, the Steel Grey matches this car perfectly. I love the body style so much, I would seriously considered a CLS63 AMG above everything else in its class if I had the money. The car is a BEAST.

The technology is also top notch, as expected from Mercedes. Lane tracking, 180 and 360 degree cameras, and the new COMMAND system is much improved (although I still prefer iDrive).

On the negative side, I hate the fact that you can't have the car start without the ECO start/stop function being active. The transmission is still also slow, and I rarely find myself shifting gears myself with the paddles. While upshifts are quick, downshifts really do take a second or so (it's hard coming from the instant DCT). That being said, the steering wheel itself is superb, meatier than my M3 with better grip/feel (not steering feel, but the actual feel of the wheel itself!)

In addition, there really is no exhaust note to the car. Coming from my M3, the car *almost* sounds electric... (for many this is actually a pro, the car is superbly quiet both inside and out).

Finally, I will say that I am a bit disappointed in the interior compared to other Mercedes. It does have a pretty boring E class interior... and it will be one of the last cars to change to the new interior. It is still extremely comfortable, the quality of materials is top notch, and the leather is great, but coming from the SL, there is a BIG difference in the appointments of the car (dashboard, speedometer, air vents, door locks, etc). I am also disappointed that there is no option for HUD or any technology of that sort. After seeing the 2017 E-class interior, I am even more disappointed in the CLS'.

---

I'm sure this is the part you've all been waiting for, so here are the photos!! If I forgot anything in the review, or you have any questions, please ask! Overall consensus: the car is GREAT, and perfect for someone like my dad!

And for those who might be wondering, (since it's been bothering me too!) this weekend, I'm taking this CLS and my M3 to get washed and will have a small photoshoot to determine which grey is better (mineral or steel) or if they are in fact, basically the same color!



















































---











---


And it may just be fitting... my dad was one of the first to have the CLS500 in 2006 when it debuted!





And a shot of the outgoing 2013 Designo Matte Grey SL550:


Sunrise PHOTOSHOOT & REVIEW: 2016 Mercedes-Benz Steel Grey CLS400

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor