M4 First Extended Drive; Two Irritations

dimanche 28 septembre 2014

Well, I've had my car for 10 days and finally got around to taking it on the road yesterday for a 300 mile drive from Los Angeles to San Diego, and back. I didn't want to take it out until I got my Xpel Ultimate front coverage and my windows tinted so it was just taking up space as the reigning garage queen. Now, however she is well on her way to the 1200 mile service and establishing a bond with me.



First of all, this is a very comfortable car on the highway. The fit of the seats, the ergonomics, the features and general comfort, and its overall responsiveness and performance make this car a genuine please to drive.



Except for just two things, so far.



The small irritation first: That bright white and yellow ugly warning label on the sun visors greatly detracts from the attractiveness of the interior, especially considering that the headliner is black and contrasts so much. At times, until I got somewhat used to them my eyes would inadvertently go the visor label on my side as though it was lit up. As they are painted on, I'm considering covering them either with BBQ flat black paint, or a flat black sticker. Anyone dealt with this issue?



The second irritation, but much more significant, is the egregious dead spot I feel in the steering wheel when going straight, and the lack of steering feel at all other times. Moreover, initiating any movement of the wheel is met with a heaviness and artificiality, something akin to static friction, whereas the old systems are completely smooth and natural even with the smallest correction. Compared to the 2008 135i I had for four years, and the 2001 525iat my wife had for 12 years, both of which I would rate "A" for steering, this car gets a barely passing grade of "C" in the steering category. Because all-electric steering cannot yet provide the connected feel of a direct hydraulic electric-assisted system, I think that the M division should have stuck with hydraulics until development was much, much further along. Any chance that there will be a retrofit hydraulic-electric steering kit available?




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor