Lamin X Headlight / Tailight Tint Review With Before/After Pics

samedi 27 décembre 2014

Hi All,



Just my second thread here but as my name suggests, I have an Ls1 RX7 that I built years ago and I've been playing with cars for a while.



My GF got a nice little 320i XDrive about 2 weeks ago and instead of ordering the M-Sport package, which doesn't even include the bumpers on the 320 btw, I decided that I was going to make my own with window tint, 351M wheels, rear decklid spoiler and some lightly tinted tails.

I know the wheels will help the most, but from the back these bright red big tail lights make the stock F30s look like a Camry.



I know tinted taillights are generally :thumbdown and I lived in Miami for a while where I helped plenty of friends Nightshade their Honduhs, but I noticed this product from Lamin X which claims to only block 6% of light, or essentially the same as getting 94% tint. Pretty light stuff. So I thought it might be worth a try.



My goal was OEM style aggressive. Something that you would see on an M3 or Corvette or other sports car from the factory, and I do indeed see some stock tail lights that are this dark from the factory.



Here is a before shot, that really makes the tails look darker than they are. Generally they are bright red.





Photos from Tonight:

First Reverse Light done. Definitely start with these, they're easy. Despite playing with cars for years I've never attempted tinting anything and I still managed to get a couple small bubbles in the first one even though it's almost entirely flat.

(Comparison stock to tinted):





The next reverse light was done in 5 minutes and was flawless, aka a little practice helped.



Now onto the curved multi-angle taillights... This is A LOT tougher. It's winter here in MA, although it's seasonably warm today at about 50 degrees, I'd suggest a summer day for best results. This material is thick vinyl. Thicker than the lamin x clear bras that go on the front of cars.



One Side Done: (This was my problem child side where I made my mistakes. A good from 5 feet job. But have probably 4 bubbles/foggy spots visible from a foot or 2 away. I'd put this on par with bad to medium quality tint shops





The other side I had learned from my mistakes and got a second person to keep the hair dryer moving as I stretched and squeegied the lights from the center out to the edges, stretching it around the compound curve as I went.



My Better Work, the other side:





Final Product:





The lights actually curve in 3 different directions at one point. This is by far the most difficult part. If you've done some tint work before it will still probably require quite a bit of attention but you can probably get a perfect result. If you haven't chances are it won't be perfect. I have a few bubbles and some foggy areas that I hope will get smaller as time goes on and it cures fully. I read on laminx site that this material is actually breathable so bubbles should shrink and even dissapear. This can take up to 2 weeks, so I'm going to keep an eye on it and report back. I'll also try to get some pictures in direct sunlight.



BTW I bought the 12" x 40" size and thought I've a ton left over, but when it came down to it, I had about an inch or 2 extra. The shade again is called "Tint" don't do gunsmoke unless you want DARK lights. My GF is an exec at a big company so everything really needed to be conservative.

http://www.lamin-x.com/Large-12x40-U...ers-s/1584.htm



End result, 99% of people, probably not even car people would know that these are tinted and think it just came that way from the factory.

Mission accomplished




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor