Test drove one in Owings Mills, MD

lundi 23 juin 2014

I just test drove the M4 that Northwest BMW has in Owings Mills. Silverstone with Silverstone interior. Fairly lightly optioned but still had LED lights and DCT. Also has the parking and side looking cameras but without the nannie stuff. I like that -- the little glove compartment where the nanny switches go is pretty cool. So, here is my take on the M4, FWIW. This M4 is still up for grabs, BTW. Kudos to Frank D. who let me take the car out. :happyanim:



The Silverstone looks really great on this car. I know, it seems boring. I thought so to until I saw it, but it looks better than on other cars. The CF trim looks better IRL than in photos too. In photos it just looks too shiny, but I am pleased to report that it actually looks very high class and really compliments the SS interior.



This one had no adaptive suspension but the ride was still very nice. I could certainly live with it, but I like having a real button where this one has a fake one, LOL. Unfortunately, I didn't really get to test out handling. There was too much traffic (Baltimore, go figure). But I did get to punch it twice. Of course, I tried to keep it under 5500 rpm. Still, the grunt above 5000 was very pleasing. Great way to scare passengers. ;)



Now, here's where I have concerns. I don't know if it was the downshift or turbo lag, but there was definitely a pause when putting your foot down. Even when downshifting with paddles. As far as turbos go, it is very little lag. But then, I don't have lots of experience with turbos. However, lag is still there. Does the sheer torque this thing have make up for the lag? I haven't decided yet.



The other thing is sound. It is definitely different than the E92 M3. It is louder, especially when getting into the throttle. However, it does have its own character and I think I can grow to love it. Just like the S54 in the E46 M3 with its rasp; at first it was a little annoying, but it grew on me to the point where I missed it when I didn't have it anymore. I think I could like the S55 growl even more than the S54 rasp.



Steering, well, nothing really to report. It's as good as the E92 M3. Not that the E92 M3 is all that great. But I loved it, as much as any Porsche I've driven. The steering wheel is typical BMW M. The interior seems more high class than the E92, and this one only had extended leather. Can't wait to see how the full leather feels.



All in all, yes, it is an improvement in almost all areas over the E92 M3. Just my humble opinion, if any is still interested.





Cheers,



Ersin




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor