Polished and sealed E90 headlamps today

samedi 19 avril 2014

My 2006 330i was in dire need of some headlamp restoration. This could have easily been skipped if BMW didn't GLUE the stupid lenses on! Anywho, I ordered up some Optimum Opti-Lens Permanent Headlight Coating and today I got to work.



Tools:

Blue painters tape

1000 grit sandpaper

Porter Cable 7424XP

Poorboys SSR 2.5

Poorboys SSR 1

Orange buffing pad

White buffing pad

15% Isopropanol in a spray bottle

Optimum Opti-Lens Permanent Headlight Coating











Procedure:

Mask off the area with blue painters tape

First I cleaned the headlamps off with 15% IPA.

Then I went to town with the 1000 grit sandpaper (wet, of course)

Followed by Poorboys SSR 2.5 on Orange pad

Repeat above as necessary until abrasions are gone.



Final polish with Poorboys SSR 1 on White pad to finish it off.



One last clean with 15% IPA.

Then I applied the Opti-Lens coating somewhat-liberally.

Waited 3-5 minutes to "cure," then wiped off excess with included microfiber towel.



Before:





















After!





















If you really look, you can still see some imperfections. I didn't feel the need to wet-sand the lenses all day so I stopped when I felt like it. Now we shall wait and see how "permanent" this coating is!




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor