What next? Cayman S vs. Stingray Z51

jeudi 12 novembre 2015

Need some advice as I'm still in the early preliminary online shopping phase. I had a Z4 35i that I was planning on keeping until it gives up on me. Mostly due to poor residual, but also because it had some personal sentimental value. Long story short, things changed and I was able to get a pretty good offer on the car. While I absolutely loved the car (interior was top notch, especially with the Citrus Package that lined important surfaces with alcantara) and I thought was and still think one of the best looking vehicles on the road, it just didn't give the oomph of power I was looking for. Between that and all the interior rattles that I could never sort out, I had been thinking about upgrading for the past year now. Now I have the opportunity to do so... a very good dilemma arises: What next?

I'm personally a big fan of Porsches in general, which makes the Cayman S a top contender. Interior is a huge upgrade from the last gen, drivability is top-notch, and in the end, it's a Porsche. With that said... this is going to be a DD and not a track vehicle nor is my daily commute a carve through the canyons, and $65k base for a 3.4L @325HP is not easy to swallow. I'd definitely need some seat time to decide, but on paper it's not that convincing.

Moving to the Stingray. Before I got the Z4, I did cross-shop the Corvette. What really held me back was the very poor interior quality of the C6, especially at 50 large. Now, the C7 comes with a much needed bump in interior quality, and the exterior design is just :confused0068: in my opinion. That, and at bone-stock Cayman S price I'd be able to get a pretty much fully loaded C7 with Z51 package, and a ground shaking, earth rumbling V8. Nothing beats the sound of an NA V8... Bang for your buck... the Stingray takes it home easy. On top of that, there is nothing you can do with the Cayman to make it even sound nearly as good as the C7. However, as stated earlier, a Porsche is still a Porsche and I truly believe that adds value regardless of if you want to admit to it or not. Additionally, despite having an improved interior, reviews I've read on the C7 still says it isn't quite up to par with the Germans. I'm also worried about potential long-term reliability of an American/GM vehicle. This will be a long-term purchase and not a lease.

I think another thing worth mentioning is, having come from a Z4, I'm not sure if I'm ready to give up on a convertible yet. But there is no way I'd get a soft top so a Boxster would be out of the question. For the Vette (I'd be going for the coupe) at least has a targa top that would provide some open air experience. The only other car I could think of is the SLK55 AMG, but they're due for an upgrade pretty soon.

Any thoughts or recommendations? I know I'm really cross shopping between segments, but again as I'm still at the very early phase of shopping, I'm open to suggestions. I know the Cayman and Stingray get brought up pretty often around this neck of the woods...


What next? Cayman S vs. Stingray Z51

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor