Death by Rod Bearings (again)

samedi 17 janvier 2015

I wanted to share with a wider audience how my replacement engine failed again after another user convinced me to create a new thread for it.



So, as some of you might've read, I bought my car in August and 2 hours later the engine full on blew up (rod bearings) at ~150mph (250kph) on the German Autobahn (original thread). Being only 2 hours old, the car was obviously still under warranty, so the dealer replaced the engine with a used one (they claimed the used engine had about the same mileage as mine, ~45,000mi (75,000km)).



Now to the funny part :lol: Yesterday.. engine warmed up and at approx. 210°F (100°C), oil level is at exactly the middle between Min and Max. After driving it for a while and then a little more "sportier" driving for less than 5 minutes, I lift off the gas pedal and let the car roll for a couple of seconds and then made a stop to make a u-turn. Right at the moment when the car came to a standstill, the iDrive display said something about "Engine malfunction" and "reduced engine power". So I decide to make a left turn into the side alley instead of making that u-turn. Well, at that moment I knew what happened - loud metallic hammering noises came from the engine bay when I tried to drive. I barely made it off that intersection and stopped the car immediately when it was safe.



Here's a video of that noise:






I'm no expert, but this surely sounds like a loose rod hitting the engine block, i.e. a rod bearing failed. Can you guys believe it? What are the chances of having two engines die on you because of rod bearings?? :bellyroll



My motorcycle is in a hibernation garage until spring. I now have to take the f*cking bus again :mad0260:



I also tried to take a photo of the engine, because in the lower corner of the block it looked really wet, probably oil leaking.





If I hadn't been there, I wouldn't have believed it myself this just happened again :bonk: :laugh:




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor