OT: Rodent Damage... Beware!

jeudi 23 octobre 2014

Posting here as I recently commented in another topic about my oil monitoring being inactive and resetting the CBS to 1200 miles. I always try to follow up on faults and issues, particularly if it can help others.



On inspection we find I have RODENT damage. Eaten through the cable to the oil sensor, right through the protective sleeve and two wires. The cable sits quite close to the engine undertray.



The bad news... repairing the loom didn't fix it. There was difficulty resetting the CBS, took several attempts before it was clear. But on my way home from the garage I tried an oil level check, was inactive again and service reset to 1200 miles.



So I need to go back next week to see what is what. The car was inspected for more damage, but nothing was visible or obvious.



Looking for rodent repellent solutions, I'm noting there appears to be a lot more rodent damage than we may imagine, can be very expensive to fix, as the warranty obviously doesn't cover this sort of issue. Many garages have experience of rodent damage, my garage certainly has some stories to tell.



I'm looking to use an 9V ultrasonic repellent device in the engine bay and one on the porch socket near the car. (Mixed views on whether they are really effective). You can even get rodent repellent tape from Honda to wrap around wiring.



I set a trap last evening and have my first (mouse) victim. BTW, I park on a gravel drive in a typical country garden, no evidence of mouse or rat problems around the area.



No idea what the cost is going to be to get this sorted. Could be expensive if we have to raid the parts bin.



So beware guys... colder days and engine bays can be rodent heaven.



HighlandPete




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor